Skip to main content

2010 FIFA WC- My Take

The dust has settled on Africa and silence befalls the 'dark continent' ... But not before it's streets were painted red and gold and it's once sleepy towns got the taste of the true 'fiesta', Spanish style!
Yes the much talked about FIFA WC in South Africa, saw Spain being crowned as the 'Campeones del mundo' or World Champions for the very 1st time!!! :D
La Furia Roja, after lying on the threshold for decades have risen to the annex the coveted trophy!
Well, the final has been discussed and debated by pundits... but here I'd like to focus on the 'fan moments' or in other words the things that made this game(in particular) and the entire tournament(in general) special for me!

So here goes:
'THE DREAM FINAL'
Netherlands vs Spain, like I mentioned in my pre tournament article, these were my 2 favourite teams and voila, who should make it to the final but them...!
Cesc Fabregas and that I'm crazy about him is a well documented fact ;) and despite having spent more time on the bench, his contribution after coming on 3 minutes from the end of regulation time won him many more fans!Enough can't be said about him. And if a talent like him can't be squeezed into the Spanish mid field, it speaks but volumes about their class!
He's currently one of the best passers in the game,assists are his forte and he has inculcated a new confidence when it comes to scoring as well, and at 23, the world is at his feet ( which I sincerely hope remain firmly grounded).
Even if I weren't a big fan of his, this 'Barsenal/ Arselona' star (well! don't blame me... doubt he himself can decide where he wants to be :P)... surely is a great talent!
He's "Mr Nice Guy" too... the Nike Cesc Fabregas Show promotional video may say he is no longer so... but my heart says he is, I mean come on!!!
And add the chocolate- boy... drop dead gorgeous looks (DDG)... we have one helluva guy!!!
Whichever club he chooses to go,he ( and the club, for the duration of his stay) shall have a staunch supporter in me!

Hail La Masia... they can well start their own army of footballers!
Not enough can be said about this training academy which has churned out more than 80% of the current crop of players. Iniesta, Cesc, Pique, Busquets, Messi.... wow!!!... and not to mention the legend Pep Guardiola himself!...
P.S. : This is coming from a Real Madrid fan... but allegiance might be shared in the near future for obvious reasons!

The game as such... Agreed if you say it was dirty, but full marks to the Dutch for the agressive approach, they gave it their all... their faces told a tale by the end of the match! As a fan of the game, this was a better final because the Dutch were in the hunt right till the end and at times looked to have the upper hand as well!
This, in contrast to the semis against Germany, where the pocession lay with the Spanish alone and the Germans were merely scooting from one end to the other, reduced to mere spectators... Almost like the Spanish were giving them a lesson on passing and pocession play!

The 'Guard of Honour' by the Dutch...
...if they played an ugly match, they still had the spirit of sportsmanship to come out and stand in honour as their opponents came back onto the field to celebrate!
It's difficult when you loose, but to appreciate your vanquishers is altogether different!

UNITY!!!
It's long been Catalans vs Madridians and so on...
But this team sees Red and Gold above all else, the camaraderie is for all to see... so for those of you who don't know, i won't even name who the players from the different clubs are, and for those of you who do, well, you'll agree with me that team has at it's core an important mix of both sides... !!!

Missed Raul Gonzalez... !!!
Mr. Real Madrid continues to be, even as i write this, Spain's top scorer... Villa is only a goal away ... and will sooner or later go past the record... But Raul is more than just a name in the record books!
For his efforts in the times before Spain saw silverware, and because I still think he has something left in him to give the game, I missed him a great deal!
Raul at his best, was feared a lot more by the defenders in those days than if 10 raging bulls had come right at them!
For also being the one of the main reasons I first started following the Spanish...!!!
Hope Raul can quench his thirst for silverware with the club whose given him a life long contract at least this season!

Last but not the least ... the fans of the La Furia Roja...
and hey! I don't only mean you guys dancing away in plazas across Spain... there are many more equally passionate fans, for example, your's truly! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Sheep Of Modern Medicine

    In the mad rush of today’s outpatient department , even as I noted the duration of his cough and enquired about the tremulousness of his hand, I could , feel the ticking hands of the clock breathing down my neck. The corridor outside my tiny room was overflowing with the sick and the needy, ebbing with tales of pain and sorrow. They sat there pleading to be heard, hoping to be understood, and above all, praying to be cured. I felt overawed by this sheer deluge that was now at my doorstep, people, families from far and wide were here, having battled long queues and prolonged waiting lists running into months just to obtain this appointment. Would the next few minutes they spend with me put a name on their suffering, or would they still be wandering in the dark corridors of ambivalence, oscillating between hope and despair.  The next few minutes, that is all I have to understand this person’s elaborate story spanning a third of his life, a story of his pain in the arm , and

ONE NIGHT AT THE DOCKS

This story was written back in 2010 as an entry for the Deccan Heral Short Story Competition. Back then I was a second year medical student, and was fascinated by diseases of the mind. Now having taken up Psychiatry as a specialization, I re read it, and I must say it's quite an accurate description( save for fictional liberty).  .................................................................................................................................................................. ‘Raman, how much exactly is eight times thirteen?’, I queried.  It was the fag end of the day, my feet were aching and I didn’t exactly pride myself with regards to my mathematical abilities. All I wanted was to tally the change, finish the cursory submission work and head home. ‘One hundred and four’, rapt came the reply. This boy had a sharp mind. Pity he didn’t put it to much use but to place bets at the bar that he’ll shortly be heading over to; to intoxicate himself to the point

Musings of my mind!!!

On a balmy night, as I tredged across the campus, freshly painted with the evening's shower, I let my mind wander. Not wander as we often do, unaware and unconsciously... but more of a permitted wander. One where I encouraged my thoughts to take flight, jump spectrums and pick up rich embellishments from the environs around.       This is a campus I've now lived on for 14 months. It was , as a matter of fact, love at first sight. The day when I first set eyes on this quaint mini-town with its spatter of stone buildings and and cottages from a bygone era,   ... it seemed like the someone had dialled the sleepy town setting on a time machine. As I moved a year and a half later to live on this campus , my affection only grew stronger. The walk replenish my parched soul, and I realised how caught up I'd been the last few months that I'd barely taken time for this leisure stroll. As I pondered , time flew by and here I am, all set to bid adieu to this beautiful place . A