Skip to main content

ONE NIGHT AT THE DOCKS

This story was written back in 2010 as an entry for the Deccan Heral Short Story Competition. Back then I was a second year medical student, and was fascinated by diseases of the mind. Now having taken up Psychiatry as a specialization, I re read it, and I must say it's quite an accurate description( save for fictional liberty). 
..................................................................................................................................................................


‘Raman, how much exactly is eight times thirteen?’, I queried.
 It was the fag end of the day, my feet were aching and I didn’t exactly pride myself with regards to my mathematical abilities. All I wanted was to tally the change, finish the cursory submission work and head home.
‘One hundred and four’, rapt came the reply.
This boy had a sharp mind. Pity he didn’t put it to much use but to place bets at the bar that he’ll shortly be heading over to; to intoxicate himself to the point where he can’t tell one from the other
‘And that’s that.’, I sighed signing the log book , bringing to close yet another day.
‘Good night Mistri Sir’, Raman called after me.
I nodded at him and set off towards my one room apartment, three lanes and five cross roads across.


I wiped another bead of perspiration off my forehead as I walked across Marina Road. It was quite a warm night spare the salty breeze that came blowing across the docks. It was past eleven, yet the docks were bustling with activity.  From where I stood, the far ends of the docks were visible. After some time, I headed down on the path home to retire for the night.

I woke the following morning in typical fashion. Taking in the sweet smell that came in from the sea each morning, I went to Velu’s Mess. Over chai he’d tell me all the local gossip, in which I had no particular interest. But then, whilst narrating one of his more meatier stories he’d spare me an extra chai or the odd rusk. And this seemed to be just that occasion…
‘Listen to this hot news!’, he pronounced.
As I did habitually, I nodded. I would savour the chai and the morning breeze while Velu would go on to psycho analyse and verbally molest the character and reputation of every sane person it the vicinity.
‘Murder at the docks!’, I heard Velu read from this morning’s paper.
So this wasn’t the usual gossip eh!

“A little past 12 a.m. early this morning, West End Limits Police Station received an anonymous call informing them about a suspected murder of an old man at the far end. Upon reaching the site, the police found the victim lying unconscious in a pool of blood. He was immediately rushed to the Government Hospital, whereupon he succumbed to injuries. It is believed that the patient suffered a fatal blow to the back of his head. Further inquiry has revealed that Jayaram, aged 59, worked as a security guard at the West End Port. Having finished his shift at half past eleven, he was on his way home when the incident occurred. Investigations are on and the police are unclear with regards to both the motive and the culprit. This incident follows in the wake of two other similar murders in the above mentioned area, the most recent being…”
‘Ratnamma!’, Velu recalled from memory .
He was of course referring to the boisterous fisherwoman who met her end a fortnight ago. Well, she was quite old and her fish off late had been as dead as the shells I used to pick off the beach as a kid, yet it was quite a brutal end.

The woman though, I must add, was feisty! I doubt that there was single living soul in this city with whom she hadn’t haggled!
Wasn’t it only a week or so before she died that she and Velu had had a face off.
Velu had ticked her off for serving up yet another batch of stale fish. They had stood arguing and exchanging insults. Velu was a mammoth of a  man, but Ratnamma‘s battery of verbal volleys were more than a match for him.

Meanwhile, having drained the last sip of my second cup of chai, I stood up to leave. I was on my way out, when Velu called out after me,
‘Mistri sir, be on your guard! You never know who it’ll be next!’

………………******……………..*******……………….

It was after I’d bathed and stood offering my morning prayers that I noticed someone approaching my apartment. It was that pest of a landlord, I realized, Raja. He had once been a jawaan in the army, but at present lived life in tatters. He had fallen wayward, his family having wisely abandoned him a while ago, his main concern now was as to where his next ‘quarter’ would come from.

A couple of loud raps on the front door announced to me, his unwelcome arrival.
‘What is it Rajanna?’, I asked.
‘I have decided to increase the rent from this month. It’s going to be seven hundred and fifty now!’, he stated.
The stench of putrefied alcohol mingled with beedi smoke was intolerable.
‘What! This isn’t done. How could you?’, I protested.
‘Nothing doing!’, he proclaimed and before I could utter a word, he slammed the door on my face and stumbled down the stairs.
That thieving scoundrel! I cursed him.
Seven hundred and fifty rupees for this rat hole? Preposterous!
Had I the means, I wouldn’t be living in this neighbourhood which in fact was more akin to a sewer, resplendent with cons, crooks and criminals.
Now I would have to ask Leela for some money. I sadly thought.


Knowing not what else to do I headed for work. I stood waiting for a good twenty minutes, before Raman finally arrived. Together we readied the bus and began the day’s work. Work, as I had realized, was the only constant in my life, and it seemed to have a calming effect on me.

As conductor of Route 315, I headed as I had for over thirty five years, with Raman at the helm, towards West End. It was a three hour route that cut across the city, and we did this four times each day.  
I sat down on the front seat. It would not be until at least Rose hill that the first passenger would get in. The crowds would only come in when we neared Town Hall. And as predicted, I settled into my usual routine of issuing tickets, verifying bus passes, haggling with the odd passenger or two for change and throwing the occasional miscreant out.

…………………************………………..************………………………….

It was only later that night, I remembered the cumbersome events of earlier that day. Back at the office, I put in a call to Leela. Luckily, she was at home.
‘Appa, how’re you? I’m so sorry I haven’t come to visit you lately. I’ve just been too busy at the hospital!’
Goodness, this girl can go on endlessly.
‘It’s okay Leelu.’, I replied. I then went on to explain my current financial situation and added, ‘so if it’s possible, can you kindly lend me some money?’
‘Oh! I’ll come and see you on Sunday morning.’, she said.
The tone didn’t sound very promising.
I sighed and put the phone down.


What would I do if Leela didn’t give me the money. I had no savings. I’d spent every paise I’d  ever earned on Shanthi’s treatment. I wasn’t even in a position to borrow from Raman. He had loaned me two thousand rupees for Shanthi’s funeral, and I still hadn’t cleared that debt.
Oh good God! What would I do?
I couldn’t possibly force Leela. Afterall that she’s done for me … and for how long have I known her, only a year or so.

Leela worked as a nurse at Curzon Memorial Hospital. It was in that very hospital that Shanthi spent her last six months, debilitated by a type of cancer, which spread through her blood like a serpent. It was in this manner however that Leela became close to my wife and me. We looked upon her, during that period, as the daughter we never had. Eventually, Leela had adopted me.
She now came to visit me, sometimes, a couple of times a month, sometimes only once.
I had grown very attached to her, the only way I sustained my interest in this dastardly life.
It was as I walked down Marina Road, immersed in these thoughts, that I thought I heard muffled footsteps. I turned behind …
I screamed, my weary heart was pumping like there was no tomorrow, I gasped for air and ran, ran as fast as those two feet of mine would carry me.
 I could hear the heavy thumping of my pursuer’s footsteps. I ran harder, soon the only sound audible was that of my heart pumping. It was only when I reached a corner alley, did I dare look behind. The street behind me was desolate…I stopped to gather my wits, I barely even recognized my surroundings. I was panting, my head was hurting, I flopped to the ground. I don’t really know how long I lay there like that, when a voice jerked me awake, ‘Mistri what happened?’, it was Velu.
I was relieved…


A persistent grazing noise awoke me. It took me a while to gather my bearings. I was at home in bed

Every muscle in my body tightened. The sharp pangs of fear spread like venom through my substance. Someone was out to get me! Oh what could I do? The flimsy door would offer absolutely no resistance if whosoever it was tried a fraction harder.
 Then, just as suddenly it had begun, the noise stopped. The ensuing silence was eerie and surreal. I couldn’t gather enough courage to open the door and investigate.
Finally, after a prolonged period of contemplation , I approached the window by the stairs. Holding the window ajar, I looked out into the now rather still night. It was pitch dark, the moon probably hidden behind the black clouds. Whoever had been at my door earlier, had disappeared into the thick veil of darkness. The breeze felt damp. Imminent signs of a storm. I continued staring into the blank darkness. Presently, the silence was shattered by the shrill, high pitched howling of a pack of stray dogs. My nerves were at tipping point, I was shaking, the icy cold winds sent shiver after shiver down my spine.
Then, in the flash of lightning that ensued, I saw it…. Saw the form that had attacked me with a club earlier that night. The burly figure was hunched over something. The approaching storm bought with it gusty winds, which threw at me what at first seemed like vague noises. Then as I grew accustomed to the whistling winds I thought I heard some people speaking. It was hard to tell. I craned my neck, trying to decipher the syllables, but only managed to gather bits and pieces of the conversation.

‘ Tomorrow night!’… ‘…it’s not over.’, ‘ put an end…’ and then, I heard it…
‘Mistri…’ … my name!
I was paralysed with fear, I hung limply onto the bars on the window.
 They were out to get me! My life was drawing to a close!

Yet again, my brain regained it’s basic capacities only after what seemed like eternity. With great difficulty I dragged myself to bed, but sleep was unwilling to caste it’s soothing spell over me. I woke up repeatedly that night, drenched in perspiration and reeling in the wake of one nightmare after another. I was exhausted, rationality evaded me. The line between fact and fiction was fast thinning!


By the time I woke up the following morning, the sun was up. The clock told me if I didn’t leave soon, I wouldn’t make it in time for today’s shift. I considered calling in sick, but my financial position wouldn’t allow me.
I still hadn’t recovered from the events of the previous night, but the only way to get over it seemed to get back onto my bus. There in the midst of hundreds of people, in broad daylight, surely hunters couldn’t get me!
So quickly, I got myself together and rushed to work. Raman was already there waiting for me. I considered putting in a call to Leela before I started off, but couldn’t bring myself to trouble with some more of my problems. The only option seemed to be to confide in Raman, and so I did.
He thought it was incredulous, nevertheless he offered to walk me home that evening.
And so the rest of the day passed with no further excitement. Infact, by the end of the shift, I was quite at ease.

After the shift had concluded, Raman walked back with me as promised. Back on Marina Road, no one attacked me this time. Within a few minutes we were at my door step. Raman hung around for a while, and we stood there talking. A while later, I bid him goodnight and headed up the stairs to my apartment. No sooner had I put my foot down on the landing than did I see the sight that stunned. Rajanna was there, a menacing look on his face, bloodshot eyes and with the club in his hand. He took a wild swing at me, I dived. He missed, I too missed my footing and went straight down the stirs. I screamed out for Raman. Luckily for me, he wasn’t more than a couple of yards away. Seeing me lying in a heap, on the bottom stair, he rushed back to try help me get back onto my feet. ‘It’s okay, just get him’, I yelled.
Raman looked baffled. Oh! How difficult was it to comprehend!

Finally Raman realized and bolted out of the stairs. Minutes later, ‘ but sir, there is nobody up here!’, came Raman’s voice.
‘ quick look in the house, don’t let him get away!’, I yelled back.
Slowly I managed to get back onto my feet. By now, Raman was back downstairs.
‘sir, I checked thoroughly, surely there is nobody up there!’, he pronounced.
Good God! What was going on here!
 I recounted to him as to what had occurred once he’d left. Now he too seemed alarmed.
‘Should we inform the police’, he queried.
‘No!No way! They might be watching! It’s potentially lethal’, I said, alarmed by the very thought.
We both stood quietly. Not knowing what to do!
At long last, he said, ‘Sir I suggest you come home with me, it’ll be better for you this way.’
For the lack of a better idea, I agreed.

At raman’s house we sat down for dinner. After dinner, Raman excused himself and went out, probably for a smoke or a nightcap.
I was quite fine for about half an hour, when like a bolt from the blue, I heard someone call out my name. I clearly recognized it as Velu’s voice and headed towards the back door. That was my mistake.
His powerful fists grabbed my arms and then another pair of hands slithered around my neck. I gasped, kicked and screamed. Raman came bursting through the front door. But he stood, fixated to the point!
‘Help! Help!’, I screamed again, my hands and feet flaying. They were choking me, and the more I struggled the tighter, they held me. What in the name of god was wrong with that boy! Didn’t he see my plight?...
And then, realization dawned on me, the boy was wasted, too drunk to tell what was going on!
This was it, the fingers constricted my airway, the lights were going out…



At first I couldn’t tell what was happening. I could only make out vague silhouettes. Then someone’s fingers clasped my hand.
‘How’re you feeling appa?’

The phantasma I had endured came back in torrents. I was now wide awake. I opened my eyes and there staring me in the face were Velu, Rajanna and Raman. It was then that I was finally able to appreciate the state of affairs. It had been staring me in the face all along, it was I who had been blind. That’s it, they were all hand in glove, Raman, Rajanna and Velu. It all fit in. Velu’s warning:      
‘Mistri sir, be on your guard! You never know who it’ll be next!’
 Raman luring me to his house. Rajanna and I shared a fair history of animosity, he                                                                               ’d be ready to send me packing anytime. … but what could be their motive be?
That’s when it dawned on me, of course, it was the family heirloom, the priceless dia…
I yanked myself free from the hand that held me. I screemed and kicked. My body and mind knew that this was it, the final battle. I punched and pushed. Hands flew at me, tried to bring me down. But I was a man possessed! I battled on, now or never!
This was pointless, the more I fought, the harder they came down on me. I sreamed and wrenched but to no avail. Many more med held me down and tied my hands and legs. ‘Leelu, help me!’, I said feebly. But she stood in the corner sobbing.
What happened next, I can barely recall. It was a haze, I barely could swallow and all I remember are harsh neon lights.
…………………..***********………………*****************……….

I had a warm cup of chai in my hand, they were tremulous. I looked disbelievingly at Leelu. My voice quivered as I spoke and my mouth was dry. I looked at her teary eyes as she stroked my head.
But how could this have happened. I looked at her eyes again and then back down.
I had imagined all of this? It wasn’t real? You mean to say Velu and Rajanna didn’t attack me?
Leelu sighed. “ It happened in your mind Appa, you have Schizophrenia.”

…………….*****************………………*************


Comments

dpirsm said…
well wrought

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Sheep Of Modern Medicine

    In the mad rush of today’s outpatient department , even as I noted the duration of his cough and enquired about the tremulousness of his hand, I could , feel the ticking hands of the clock breathing down my neck. The corridor outside my tiny room was overflowing with the sick and the needy, ebbing with tales of pain and sorrow. They sat there pleading to be heard, hoping to be understood, and above all, praying to be cured. I felt overawed by this sheer deluge that was now at my doorstep, people, families from far and wide were here, having battled long queues and prolonged waiting lists running into months just to obtain this appointment. Would the next few minutes they spend with me put a name on their suffering, or would they still be wandering in the dark corridors of ambivalence, oscillating between hope and despair.  The next few minutes, that is all I have to understand this person’s elaborate story spanning a third of his life, a story of his pain in the arm , and

Book Review: The Mistress Of the Throne

An insight into the intriguing lives of the Mughal dynasty, especially their women and in particular their daughters... The Mistress of the Throne is a semi fictional memoir of  the unsung princess Jahanara and how she played a defining role in shaping India's history from behind the veils.  A powerful, independent and strong character, born  perhaps about 500 years ahead of time, her remarkable life, her vision and her sacrifices appear to be the less chronicled aspects of what undoubtedly was the Golden Era of the Mughal Rule. Her unparalleled love for her eccentric family is remarkable. As an adolescent she was thrust into the forefront of royal responsibilities soon after her mother , the legendary Mumtaz Mahal breathed her last, yet this Persian beauty wore the title of Shah Jahan 's Empress and that of a foster mother to her siblings with grace and dignity. The melancholy of her own life not withstanding, she was the will behind the Taj Mahal, thus immortalizing her p