Skip to main content

Verbal Diarrhoea: CWG 2010- My take

The IX CWG touted India’s Games has drawn to a close … the roof stands intact and neither has the floor collapsed beneath anyone’s feet!

Indian athletes turned in a stellar performance with 101 medals … and the imperialists, the English… in honour of whose conquests these games are held were pushed to third after a tooth and nail battle which went on right up to the finish!

But all this, as is common knowledge, has come at quite a price, 70,000 crores to be exact!!!

The brick bats came 1st , thick and fast … dirty loos, leaky stadiums and varying standards of hygiene ensured that the CWG got all the publicity, albeit quite a bit of it was uncalled for. But I suppose in today’s world, and I’m sure all you starlets out there will agree, it’s the publicity that counts and ‘good/ bad’ part of it is essentially secondary!

And so as the world media poured in, and the rain continued pouring in (into the stadium)… the OC ran helter skelter to mend the leaks (again both literally and figuratively :P)… Then the magical fairy-godmother (the Delhi CM) finally woke up and flicked her wand and… voila!... the chaos settled leaving in it’s wake some spick and span rooms… and some much required sense of calm!

Ah well, despite this the foreign media complained, about dogs, mosquitoes, food, bacteria, weather… and well far too many things to fit in here… but the athletes trickled in… and finally the focus of the games did shift... i.e. to ‘the games’!!!

And now with 101 prized scalps in the kitty, 38 of them the bright yellow kind, the OC sits snugly even as the government ponders as to how to clear the mess that’s been pushed under the carpet (literally and figuratively, yet again!!!)

And though the dust has barely settled after the games,the clamouring has begun for the big fish…the Olympics…!

Well, for starters with merely 6 individual Olympic medals, only one of which is gold, it’s going to be a far steeper battle for us at the Olympics… and it’s going to take a lot more than Wizcraft, A.R. Rahaman and highly enthusiastic school kids delivering a Grade –A opening ceremony to pull off this one!

So dear IOC, invest your money wisely and how bout spending a fraction of the 70- whatever crores on nurturing the likes of Suronjoy, Saina, Tintu, Dola, Ashwini, Punia and co!

Staging the games can wait, but for a country brimming with talent, the medals can’t!

But if we do stage these games, here are 3 things to be avoided: [;)]

  1. Thanking Princess Diana… agreed she’s probably unforgettable and despite the opening ceremony being a celestial show… it still doesn’t make sense!
  2. Royally expensive toilet paper… ‘coz as long as it serves the purpose, no one’s complaining!
  3. Lalit Bhanot…!!!

… yeah and the broadcasters must be forced to get a few knowledgeable experts please!

India put in an inspired effort no doubt, but the higher echelons of sporting glory is still some way away!

Well, it may be said that the end justifies the means, but not if it means swindling the honest tax payers' money... does it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Sheep Of Modern Medicine

    In the mad rush of today’s outpatient department , even as I noted the duration of his cough and enquired about the tremulousness of his hand, I could , feel the ticking hands of the clock breathing down my neck. The corridor outside my tiny room was overflowing with the sick and the needy, ebbing with tales of pain and sorrow. They sat there pleading to be heard, hoping to be understood, and above all, praying to be cured. I felt overawed by this sheer deluge that was now at my doorstep, people, families from far and wide were here, having battled long queues and prolonged waiting lists running into months just to obtain this appointment. Would the next few minutes they spend with me put a name on their suffering, or would they still be wandering in the dark corridors of ambivalence, oscillating between hope and despair.  The next few minutes, that is all I have to understand this person’s elaborate story spanning a third of his life, a story of his pain in...

5 minutes of introspection

So it's the fag end of the year and I ask myself where was I last year at the same time?! And how is this any different from what it was 365 days back? Have I done all that I set out to do? To see, hear and feel... Have I had happy conquests and numbing losses? What've I learnt? And more importantly, what've I unlearnt?!  Have I lived atleast a few days to the fullest, enough to refresh my spirit? Have I looked on upon the wondrous valleys? Have I gazed at the starry sky with a heavenward prayer at my lip?  As the clock ticks towards closure on another chapter, I vow, to break free of vows! To wonder, to wander. To imagine and to discover! To breathe in the happiness of the human spirit, to relive the warmth of hug on a moonlit night!  To live ... To life!

BABA- I LOVE YOU

My dad, or Baba as I call him, has been and continues to be an inspiration. What he has taught me over 22 years, are the pillars of guidance and strength which I look upto both in rapture and despair. The relationship I had with my dad, was not a very conventional one, at least I would think so. For starters I am very much like him, impatient and perennially in a hurry! So as you would imagine, we had our fair share of arguments, but the part I liked the best was, every argument could be settled with a ‘Sorry’ and a tight hug within the span of an hour if not sooner, and voila.. just like that we were friends again. This is one of the most important things I picked up from my dad very early on in life. If he, my dad, my hero, could apologise to me then I should never consider myself beyond an apology, and if I’m at fault I’m always ready to.  Some of the other cherished memories are of going with him of Cubbon Park and Vidhana Saudha every Sunday, of going to kaka near Natio...